1. Oh, a ship went a sailing out over the bar Ref: Away for Rio!
She pointed her bow for the southern star
ref: And we’re bound for the Rio Grande
Full ref: Then away, boys away
Away for Rio
sing fare thee well, me Liverpool girl
and we’re bound for the Rio Grande
2. Oh, farewell to Sally, and farewell to Sue
and farewell to you on the pier head to!
3. Oh you Bowery girls we’ll have you to know!
We’re bound for the southern, oh, lord let us go!
4. We’re a bully good ship, and a bully good crew!
But we don’t like the grub, no I’m damned if we do!
5. Oh, New York town is no place for me! So I’ll pack up me sea chest and go back to sea!